Tuesday 28 October 2014

So Long, Farewell......

Today I watched as my beloved Aga was slowly and carefully dismantled to be taken away – probably to warm the cockles of a new family’s heart!!

Turned off ready to go, our three oven Aga - the tiles behind are from Fired Earth.

We have had Aunty Aga – named by my nephews – as they misheard when I said "On the Aga" or "In the Aga" and she fondly became known as Aunty Aga – she is definitely a she!! She knows so many secrets, sssshhhhh………………

We have loved her and she has been perfect for our home, which originates from 1650. We bought her 14 years ago and she has warmed our hearts and home ever since, despite breaking down on 3 occasions – naughty girl – once in the first year of having her – 2 days before Christmas – oh yessss – and Aga told me they wouldn’t be able to get an engineer out till after the big man in red had been! Can you imagine? All that planning for the first Aga cooked Christmas dinner? This was swiftly sorted when Mr.L got on the phone and a nice engineer was out next day, probably on triple pay or something…

I feel sad and will miss her warmth when I come in to the kitchen on a blustery Autumn or snowy Winter’s day, clothes warming on her ready to change in to. The dog lying with his back against her and I remember when we had an ill chicken in a box at the side of her.

I’ll miss watching Mr.L moving food for friends and family around the different ovens, in his element, often in a Chef’s hat. The best, most moist cakes ever and always exclamations of how tasty the food is and how succulent the meat!!  


I remember when my Son started secondary school and had to write a detailed piece on how to make a slice of toast in Home Economics – “First, lift the left hand side boiling plate lid up” – haha!!

So, why are we saying farewell? When we got her she cost around 28 pounds a month to run, now five times that – that isn't for the heating – our Aga isn't linked to do the heating like some and to change this would cost a fortune.

She has become an extravagance and I feel our money could be better spent, particularly as it is just me & Mr.L at home now. We have a wood burner and central heating and obviously will be using them more than ever, but I feel I can no longer justify paying out so much money every month.

So, now I'm trying to find a range oven to fit the space. I still want a large oven as I love cooking and having friends and family over, but at least I will have the choice of what I'm using when. Below are the last things I baked over the weekend - one of three Christmas cakes and a cherry and coconut traybake, mmmmmm - I can't have any - juice detox!!!


Ok, so now the hunt is on for a new oven quick!!
Any recommendations? Share!
XX




1 comment:

  1. A sad day!! Quite understandable though ... we got the total control so ours is only on when needed so the cost is kept right down for the moment. We've hardly had it on all summer. Although in the winter last year I sneekily would turn the ovens up from slumber for some extra warmth on occasion! Good luck in your hunt. xxx

    ReplyDelete